International title: Collective
Original Title: Colectív
Romania, Luxembourg, 2019, 109’
Language(s): Romanian, English
Director: Alexander Nanau
- Toronto Film Critics Association Awards 2021; Best Documentary Film
- European Film Awards 2020; European Documentary
- Tromsø International Film Festival 2020; Don Quixote Award
- Sofia International Film Festival 2020; Special Jury Award
- Zurich Film Festival 2019; Best International Documentary Film
Synopsis: The documentary opens with the story of the fire which broke out in a night club in Bucharest named Colectív and questions why so many people have lost their lives in hospitals, although they were not burnt severely. The film finds chilling answers to the question through a team of journalists investigating the case for a newspaper. The team discovers the defects of a health system that has lost its functionality and reminds us the importance of investigative journalism for political action.
Director’s bio: Alexander Nanau was born in Bucharest and studied directing at the German Film and Television Academy Berlin. He has directed the feature documentaries The World According to Ion B and Toto and His Sisters. Collective is his latest documentary.