EU Supports Professional Journalism In Turkey
The first annual conference of the EU funded "Media for Democracy, Democracy for Media" project implemented by the Journalists Association will take place in Ankara on Sunday, 12 January. The opening will be attended by Ambassador Faruk Kaymakcı, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and Director for EU Affairs and the Head of EU Delegation to Turkey, Ambassador Christian Berger.
What is the scope of the project?
- Monitoring and reporting on the enabling environment for media in Turkey;
- Conducting international and national advocacy and lobby;
- Establishment of a Press House in Ankara fully equipped with broadcasting and reporting facilities;
- Regular gatherings at the Press House to strengthen solidarity among journalists;
- Journalism Profession Honour Award for a journalist or media outlet;
- Capacity building for journalists (digital security, journalism law, how to be a freelancer…);
What is the aim of the project?
The project aims to enhance advocacy for pluralistic media and increase solidarity for and protection of journalists by providing them platforms/safe environments where they can continue their work and develop their capacities The project started in January 2019 and will last for 40 months.
All project activities and ways of support are available on: www.media4democracy.org
When and Where?
Date/ Time: Sunday, 12 January 2020, at 09:30
Venue: Buyukhanli Park Hotel Yıldızevler, Simon Bolivar Cd No:34,
For more information on the project, please contact the Delegation:
Seda Erden, Programme Manager for Civil Society, Audiovisual Policies, Culture
Tel: (+90 312) 459 87 00;
For press enquiries please contact:
Miray Akdag, Press Officer for the Delegation of European Union to Turkey
Tel: 0312 4598700,