EU Supports Rural Development of Turkey
The launching event for the 6th Call for Applications of the IPARD II programme held in Ankara on 8th May with participation of H.E. Dr Bekir Pakdemirli, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry and Mr. Gabriel Munuera Viňals, Deputy Head of the EU Delegation to Turkey.
The event marked the launch of the 6th Call for project applications under the IPARD II project, financed under the Instrument for Pre-Accession of the European Union. The call focusses on farm diversification and business development for a total budget of EUR 60 million. The event saw also the participation of H.E. Farouk Kaymakci, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Mr Yunus Kılıç, Member of the Parliament and President of the Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Affairs Commission.
On the occasion of the event, the Head of EU Delegation to Turkey, Ambassador Christian Berger, said: "The EU’s rural development policy helps rural areas of the EU to meet global challenges linked to urbanization trends, environmental concerns and climate change. It plays a key part in achieving the overall objective of promoting smart, sustainable and inclusive growth in rural communities. Rural areas in Turkey face very similar challenges as in the EU. They are also very diverse and rich in traditions, local cultures and people. I believe that the IPARD programme, modelled on the EU policies, has already improved the lives of Turkey's rural citizens and will continue to do so in the future."
H.E. Ambassador Berger also added: "The program has, so far, provided investment support to 14,000 projects on farms, food processing companies and rural diversification and enterprises. IPARD has created an estimated 57.000 jobs in rural areas and more are created every month. IPARD supports a wide spectrum of activities, from beekeepers to milk processors. And very importantly it also reaches women and young entrepreneurs."
What is IPARD?
- IPARD is the Instrument for Pre-Accession for the Rural Development programme.
- IPARD's main objective is to prepare candidate countries to implement the EU Common Agricultural Policy upon their accession to the EU.
- IPARD helps Turkey to align its agri-food sector to European standards and supports Turkey to develop its institutions in the agricultural sector as well as its rural areas through financial assistance.
- The programme, which is implemented through dedicated Turkish institutions accredited by the EU, provides economic development opportunities in 42 provinces in Turkey.
- Projects funded under the Rural Development Programme are fostering investments marked by a transfer of technology, progress and innovation.
Venue: Directorate General of Forestry, Conference Hall
For further information on the Call for Applications: please visit www.tkdk.gov.tr
For further information please contact
Ms. Leyla Alma Tel: (+90 312) 4598700, email: email@example.com
For press inquiries please contact
Miray Akdağ M +90 532 624 93 56, Tel : +90 4598877 email: firstname.lastname@example.org