Erciyes Technology Regional Innovation Centre
BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON THE PROJECT
Title of the action: Erciyes Technopark Regional Innovation Center
Priority sector: Regional Competitiveness Operational Programme – Improvement of R&D, Innovation, Technology and ICT Environment
Operating Structure: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology
Final Beneficiary: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology
End Recipient of Assistance: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology – DG for Science and Technology, R&D and Innovation Supports Directorate
Duration: 35 months
Budgetary Information according to OIS:
EU Funding : € 6,327,897
National Funding : € 1,496,880
Total : € 7,824,777
The overall objective of the action is to increase regional competitiveness by supporting enterprises and improving business, R&D, Innovation, Technology and ICT Environment
The purpose is to establish the physical infrastructure of the Erciyes Technopark and provide technical assistance to support the Research and Technological Development & Innovation Initiative and Strategies in Kayseri province and related TR72 Region.
Kayseri and Yozgat
Description of the Operation
In 2001 Technology Development Zones Law entered into force in Turkey. The aim of this law is to foster R&D development in Turkey, increase the emergence of technology based start-ups, increase the university-industry cooperation and to increase the value added export level of Turkey. The Law also provides important incentives for R&D and IT companies.
Erciyes Teknopark was officially declared in 2004 as one of the Technology Development Zones in Turkey, holding a total area of 250,000 m2. Administrator Company Erciyes Teknopark Inc was established in 2005 and is responsible for achievement of the vision and the goals of Erciyes Teknopark at first degree.
According to the said law; the management company is supposed to provide trainings, consultancy and incubation services on technical aid, brand registration, patent applications, company establishment procedures, technology transfer, marketing, export, financing, risk capital, etc. Also the management company is supposed to provide laboratories and common facilities for testing, quality management and calibration services, if there is a common need of companies.
At the beginning of the operation there was a high level of need for additional infrastructure and training and consultancy services in the above mentioned fields in Erciyes Technopark. Although there was a high potential for R&D in Kayseri, there had been still a need to raise the awareness and interest among the technology companies for the proper functioning of the Technopark.
The operation had very important direct contributions on the specific objectives of Operational Program such as:
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Enterprise Development
- Integration of SMEs into International Market
- Improvement of Business Environment
- Development of Technological and Innovation Capacity
1. Increased office space and facilities available to accommodate new tenants and new R&D project activities
2. Improved performance, competitiveness and entrepreneurship of technopark management companies and knowledge intensive SMEs in the region.
Project Components/Activities (All Completed)
Construction of a building for the Erciyes Technopark of around
The amount of signed contract is € 4,069,468
The supervision services for the works contract. The amount of the contract is €738,100.
Provision of equipment with the aim of:
- fully equipped training lab in Erciyes Technopark which can serve up to 50 people
- fully equipped training lab in Yozgat Innovation Centre which can serve up to 20 people
- fully equipped TTO Office
- 30 fully equipped offices in Kayseri and
- purchasing a vehicle because of multi-regional structure (Kayseri and Yozgat) of the project
To this end the following contracts were signed:
Lot 1 – IT & Electronics & Smart Class Equipment, €257,373
Lot 2 – Office Equipment €213,132
Lot 3 – Vehicle, €51,002
The purpose of the contract is to provide technical assistance to support the Research and Technological Development & Innovation Initiative and Strategies in Kayseri and Yozgat provinces. To this end the following results were expected from the Contractor:
- Improved performance, competitiveness and entrepreneurship of technopark management companies and knowledge intensive SMEs in the region.
- Enhanced capacity for better assessment of the needs and potential in the region and required actions for the development of technology based and innovative businesses.
- Provision of networking scheme for the innovation centres
- Increased awareness on technopark and innovation support programmes in the region
The amount of the contract is € 1,205,500 EUR.
State of Play
The activities stated above were all completed.
Today Erciyes Technopark hosts more than 195 R&D companies with its 30.500m2 well equipped office areas. These companies are operating in various fields such as high technology softwares, robotic systems, defense industry and medical instruments and they employ more than 700 qualified personnel within their bodies. Studies on approximately 300 R&D projects are on-going. The region reached 707 R&D projects exceeding 250M TL R&D turnover since the day it was established.
The technopark was put in the UBI* Index List in 2014 for the first time Erciyes Technopark is authorized representative of European Enterprise Network for the provinces of Kayseri, Yozgat and Sivas. It coordinates the join works of the enterprises in the region with enterprises in Europe.
*UBI Index is declared to be the first and most reliable global ranking of Top University Business Incubators.